Pages

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Song of Blades and Bricks

Introduced my daughter (age 8) to wargaming this weekend with a slightly simplified version of Song of Blades and Heroes.  For figures and terrain, we used Lego minifigs and bricks.

The scenario was simple: get across the pond, through the ruins, get the treasure and get out.





My warband was built for power, 2 Minotaurs, 2 dwarves and 1 dwarf magic user.  My daughter went for stealth and magic - 2 wizards (Harry Potter and Hermione), 2 barbarian cave girls, 1 thief (Red Riding Hood) and a crossbow wielding Hagrid.




While the magic users transfixed my fighters, Little Red Riding Hood sneaked into the ruins and got the treasure. 



The "bad" warband did manage to get back on their feet briefly: 


Hermione versus a Minotaur: 



Red takes out a Minotaur that Harry Potter transfixed:



...and that was the game.  A fun afternoon game, and my daughter grasped the concept of activation and combat rolls very well.  I was impressed that she learned on her own some basic tactics and gameplay exploits - her favorite was transfix with a wizard and then attack with the crossbow.  Two additional educational benefits from the game: quick but basic mental math computation and use of the metric system, both of which are skills not sufficiently taught in American primary schools.

Hopefully, I will soon post pics of my recent painting efforts, a few units of Scots that I have been working on for SAGA, and some El Cid Spaniards for a friend and fellow gamer.


3 comments:

  1. Utterly brilliant. My daughter (turning 6) recently discovered Harry Potter. I'll be nicking this idea pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 8 year old tactician! Careful, next she'll be talking about right flanks and 'mass de decision' :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is brilliant love the table and figures glad your daughter enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete